Sunday, September 25, 2011

RGIT....the place where I come from!

 Having worked full time for a few years I had almost forgot the importance of my undergrad education and how much it is helping me now. I was just taking some rest and few memories came back to my mind. Memories about my under-grad studies back home. Memories about the wonderful, state of the art building we have, the wonderful location of the college which faces the shore, great bunch of people, yes I remember that when I was in my second year and I had thought of a punch line which said: RGIT: The place where the crowd rocks!


 Currently doing grad studies, I realize the importance of all the classes, all the effort our professors used to put in. Coming for campus connect program on weekends was a big headache for us, but if you see it from the point of view of the professors, they were working on weekends! I actually feel like calling up a couple of professors and talking to them , especially the concepts taught on Systems Programming, Compiler theory, Software Engineering, Data Structures, it is all helping me immensely and I really thank all the wonderful faculty of my undergrad.


 To give u an idea, as part of one of my grad study course, we were suppose to write an SRS for a 3 tier cloud based application, also compatible with mobile devices, and hell I smoked it in 2 hours flat. Object oriented analysis and design and software engineering helped for sure. All the courses I have taken involves a hell lot of mathematics and logic, its application to computer science and we had mathematics in 5 semesters, dint we?

 I mean somehow, now everything makes sense. Like all the concepts you learn at undergrad level are actually implemented at grad level. Not everyone does that back home, as there are not much reputed institutes apart form the IITs, the IIS , BITS and several others, but hell no way I can get into an of those for grad studies...

 So yes...I came to US...and it actually feels like home...grad classes have 80% indian population and frankly speaking you are so filled with assignments, papers and quizzes....you don't actually get time to think tht you are in a whole new world, a new country...and add a 20hr job to that and basically you know what u get..hell if you still want more be a CS rep for IEEE and a member of ACM council...

.I actually believe the strenuous course structure of Mumbai university prepares us to slog, survive and succeed. Remember those days of chapping the assignments in SE and TE, chapping pages and pages...well everything helps in someway or the other, it's all about connecting the dots, and realizing that the dots are getting connected.


 The library is the best hangout place for me, wherever I go...hehe. RGIT, yeah they all know me, Infy DC library...yeah they know me too...bas abhi yehaan bhi pehchaan ban rahi hai...hehe The library in US is like OMG....like my one has 4 floors, graduate carells, skpe and multimedia rooms, best part is access to absolutely any paper from the world, be it IEEE, ACM, anything if it's there out there, we have it here. Also not to mention the big bomb MAC systems...hehe just started using those, ideal for reviewing papers...


 The other day, I was talking to one of my friend who is from SVNIT, very humble guy and I know him since more than a year. I was discussing, how reviewing 2 papers every week, gets to your head and he said, it was a norm at his college and his college students actually started publishing papers at undergrad levels...and I was like what...just awesome! Wondering what all they cook up at the IITs? Well I tried to get an in...just don't happen to study two years, all night along with a regular day for it!


  What all this implies is the power of indian minds and the extend of things we can achieve, I mean I am just an average or below average student and I know tons of people smarter than me, all that is required is a right path or a channel for them to use to get to a specific goal! I mean there is a reason why India is yanking close to 8-10% GDP every year with a population of 1.7 billion. You discuss about India with American grad students, and there is a good chance they will tell you they have many friends from India. However the notion still persists about the poverty and all, but then I tell them do a comparative analysis with US...and then one day somehow we started talking about China....that day I had a new found respect for China...how great China is and how much it is respected in the US! Try to look up Chinese history and culture and you will be in deep awe of amusement and enthrallment!

No comments: