Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Rational Philosophical Thinking

Yes I am in raat paali, the paali where I blog the most and today I just saw Stephen Hawkings special and I am reading a book on Quantum Computing, so guess for yourself :) .

 Since more than a couple of years,I have been following Stephen Hawkings. Following on Discovery channel that is. How he speaks about the Universe and all. Today there was a Stephen hawking special, unfortunately was in Hindi, but still I did see around half of it.

 First thing first, and the the first thing on Earth and the how of it is still perplexing. What am trying to say is that there is still no single acceptable theory about the origin of life on earth. There is a vague explanation about origin of the Universe, but that is, as I said vague. The two most acceptable theory about origin of life on earth are beneath.

 First they say, that life evolved from water, yes correct, many people agree. However today I saw, Stephen Hawkings saying it was muddy water to be precise and it had loads of amino acids. I presumed amino acids are the constituents of the DNA, however I found out that DNA is made up of nucleotide and each nucleotide has three parts: a sugar molecule, a phosphate molecule, and a structure called a nitrogenous base. No amino acids, however amino acids are pretty critical for life with regards to the metabolism process. Ok, so I guess these facts make the first option feasible.

 Second theory is that life travelled to Earth via some extraterrestrial object like a coment, under the assumption that those life form had the ability to survive the hostile conditions of space. However if that were so, then how come, we humans who are the highest form of evolution cannot survive without an atmosphere? I disagree with Mr. Stephen on this one!

 Also there was the usual search for life beyond earth section with reference to Mars and Europa, just wondering if I would every get to see someone get out of our solar system in my lifetime?


 So this is the extreme end of dimension, the Universe and than there is another extreme, the cellular physics. Yes I am talking the physical cell, not the biological one. In one of my previous post, I talked about powering spaceships for intergalactic travel using anti-matter. Yes, you may realize that is too in raat paali..hehe. Point is power can be supplied via anti matter, which seems kinda fiction, more realistic may be nuke or plasma. What about the technology to be used in such spaceship? Well power is not enough rite, you need some intelligent computing for such a big thing, both in terms of size and purpose, and that is answered by Quantum Computing!!!


 I started reading about it and couldnt help my impatience and excitement to make a status update on FB which read: :"An algorithm that could factor a 140 digit long numbers a billion times faster than currently possible, a search engine that could examine every nook and cranny of the Internet in half an hour and a "brute force" decoder that could unscramble a Data DES transmission in five minutes! How? Quantum Computers! THAT'S HOW!!" Yes it is true, and it is magnificently amazing. To get slightly more detail on it, I can say it is using the concept of making a subatomic particle, like an electron store bits of data and also act like a gate. Well gates are a concept in Computer Organization and Arhitecture subject, there are various gates like the AND gate and all.

Also historically speaking physicists and computer scientists have been investigating the properties of quantum superpositions and their application to computing since the late 1970s, too bad nothing concrete has come out yet. We have millions and billions of transistors on a chip but still no progress in quantum computing!


 End of the day, I guess everything is set!!! There's gonna be a USS Enterprise, powered by nuke or something, having the brain of a quantum computer and me as The Captain, with my DNA biologically mutated to stop or reverse the aging process, as required... B-))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely written....

i liked the detailed investigation :)....

great work, keep exploring keep writing...Deepesh