Thursday, May 21, 2015

Downfalls of Digital and the Internet Age

So it is 5AM in the morning. I am in night shift. Today is my second day of night shift in the new company. No this is not the downfall I will talk about; I am fine working in night. I accept it, what I want to talk about is the disconnect among ourselves, and among our friends and family which has come along with the addiction to social networking.

I am an avid facebook user since long time. I won’t say I am addicted to it, but I use it often. Technology like any other Science can be a boon as well as a blessing, depends on how you use it. Like you can use Nuclear power to generate electricity to power cities, you can also use the same nuclear energy to destroy cities. Same is with facebook, I use it for constructive purpose, to stay up to date with the latest in technology and also the happenings around the world. Also getting an update on friends, but one must remember to be in touch with friends on other mediums apart from facebook, and I imply digital mediums on a bigger scale.

I did not have WhatsApp till last year. I had a Bada OS mobile of samasung, and they did not have WhatsApp for it. I switched to Google Nexus 5, and started using WhatsApp, first couple months were those characterized by novelty of something new, I confess I used to ping a lot of friends and waste lot of time. Then I started using it only to stay in touch with close friends and family. Important thing is how much time you can afford to give to such things, and how much time you actually give. I do not spend more than half hour a day on WhatsApp.

Few more things I am proud of are living without a TV for over 3 years, and that too happily, living without a mobile for more than a month. I am in the business of IT, and I have passion for IT. However I am not addicted to it, I can live without it. I like the real world more, I enjoy the sunrise, I used to do that first thing in the morning in Magarpatta City apartment. I enjoy travelling, I enjoy partying with friends in real life. Yes there are a lot of downfalls of the digital age, but it is up to you on how much you can control yourself, and how much you can utilize the technology, rather than technology utilizing you!!!

No comments: