Monday, July 6, 2015

Working in shifts 101

It is a wonderful Monday morning. Its 6:30AM in the morning, I am sitting in my balcony of flat 302. There are some clouds moving around, there is a lot of chirping of the birds, a pleasant breeze is moving around and the temperature is wonderful 22 degrees. I got up at 4AM fresh midway of my 4 day long weekend. I had night shift last week and have same next week. It has been almost 6 years in IT industry ,I have worked in shift majority of the time, wanted to write this down since long, finally doing it.

When I joined Infosys as a fresher I had around 6 months training in Mysore campus, and then I got allocated to the unit: IMS. It stands for Infrastructure Management Services; it involves mainly supporting client infrastructure and more importantly working in shifts. I started working ,initially found  it tough working through the night as it was something new, also had some back problems, but I went along my merry way.

The first thing about working in support domain and consequently in shifts is accepting it. I never thought or asked why am I working in shifts, I accepted the fact that I have to and found peace within. I see a lot of freshers these days who don’t want to work in shifts, sometimes you have no other option and to be happy you need to accept that you have to do it, only then you would be able to do it happily.

Working in shift has a lot of advantages as well, we get home pick and drop in cab free of cost, we get shift allowances and we also get wonderful long weekends like the one I am currently enjoying. There are some cons as well, like it leads to obesity if you don’t have proper diet and exercises. Also your body cycle changes frequently and I would not recommend working in shift all your life, I am planning to stop it once I get married towards end of this year. However initial phase of the carrier, when you are young and energetic you should do it if you do not have any other option.

I want to give some tips about working in night shifts especially based on personal experience. First thing is don’t sleep in office during shift, because if you have some sleep then you will not be able to sleep properly when you go home, and consequently feel tired the next night. All this affects your performance at work. So be awake all night, and make sure you eat at least twice in the night. Make sure you eat something before you sleep, as it is hard to sleep on empty stomach. Make sure you have curtains in your room, no noise disturbances, and also if you want, wear an eye mask. Sleep for at least 8 hours and make sure you are fresh when you get up. Drink a lot of water throughout day and night.


Working in night has never been a problem for me. I like it in fact as there is comparatively less workload and we also got night shift allowance, however I am experiencing some difficulty in changing of sleep times after night shift to other shift currently. I was not doing night shift in Amdocs since couple of years and doing it now so perhaps not used to this. Hopefully I will adjust soon. Well its 6:45AM now and I have also booked a 9AM show of the movie Terminator, one of the perks of working in shift, you get to watch a movie on Monday morning, when majority of people drag themselves to work!!!

No comments: