Saturday, July 16, 2016

I am Teacher...are you?

 So what do you do on a typical Saturday? Go for a movie, hang out with friends? Well there is nothing wrong in that, but it is important to do some social work as well. Some monetary support to the needy helps bridge the economic gap in society, and some social work where you denote your time for a cause is actually better than monetary support.


 As far as I am concerned, I am enrolled with payroll program in my company since last few years, where some amount of salary is automatically deducted for social cause. I also try to go for social work, whenever I can. I have to work on lot of Saturday's, so I get few chances, but when I get a chance, I definitely go.


 Every MNC company has a CSR branch, so you may want to check out your office mails or with HR for details. Last time when I was in Balewadi, I had gone for a CSR activity. I was on a lookout for some activity in my area again. There was a BAT(Be a teacher)program today at a school which is only 2kms away from my home, so I registered for same.


The timing was 11:30 to 13:30, I reached there. There was another person present who was the POC, he was in the Class 6th, teaching English. Every student was introducing themselves, I stood for a while and then gave a suggestion, POC told me that they want tips and help to speak in English, I said ok, he gave me the charge of the class, and I was there for around couple hours.


After every student finished their introduction, I gave my feedback on what I though about their English, and how they can improve their spoken English. Then, I asked if someone can talk on India, no one volunteered. I understood the level of class was not that great, and needed help. I asked them to remove their textbooks, and we started reading. I asked them who wants to read, students would raise their hand and I would make them read few lines.


Then we did an exercise, where I taught them about interruptions and responses to them when someone is reading. Some students liked English and had also mentioned it in their favorite subject during introduction. Some were not very interested, I made sure each and everyone got a chance to read. I told them if they are not confident\comfortable, they should still try. They will be confident once they try. I also asked the class, that if their friend is reading and not doing well, not to laugh at him, but to help him.


I gave other tips as well to students, on how to improve spoken English. It comes with practice and more reading. One should think in English in order to speak fluently. I also told them, that not everyone would be good in the same thing, and have same interest. However, you need to study to clear exams, and in future you may study what your interest is.

It was a very good experience for me, I like taking class, and this in a way is giving back to society. Helping out the young kids to go towards the correct path, and motivate them to work hard for a bright future. It was a wonderful day out in PMC School, Bavdhan indeed..

No comments: